Friday 13 February 2015

Dark Eldar Painting Progress

Grotesques:


Finally I have emerged from the depths of painting torture with a worthwhile offering! It seems like it took me an eternity to turn out one of these things (probably because the whole process was frustrating) but I have completed converting and painting an Aberration for my unit of Grotesques.


Isn't he cute!
Apologies for the quality of the photos, it's what happens when you use an antiquated camera from work because you can't be bothered to go upstairs and find a decent one.

Obviously he's based on the Warhammer Vampire Counts Crypt Ghoul chassis but with some Talos Pain Engine parts thrown in for good measure. Chopping and changing the parts was pretty easy; the difficult part was sculpting a loincloth out of green stuff to hide the unsightly furry mound where (presumably) his junk would normally be. However, I was pleased with the end result (sadly the photos don't really show off my sculpting).

As usual the painting was far more taxing than the conversion work. First I worried about the colour of the flesh; I wanted it to blend in with the rest of the army but still look sore and pallid. I don't know if I really managed pallid; but a dab of Khorne red mixed in and glazed over the top was pretty effective for making him look injured and in pain.


Who are you calling ugly?
I ran into painter’s block when I realised the amount of components that would need to be painted in metallic colours (I hate painting metal!). I wanted the metals to look darker and more corroded than my usual Eldar colours. A couple of washes of Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil created a nice base for me to highlight from; and overall I’m pretty pleased with the end result. So pleased in fact that I've made good headway into painting the rest of the unit. Now if only they had a transport.........

No comments:

Post a Comment